Dressing your newborn baby can be a difficult experience, as it can be hard to know where to begin. Read our tips below to give you some guidance.
- Dress your baby on a change table or surface that is flat, stable, firm and the right height for you
- Select clothes for them that are easy to get on and off. Front closing clothes with buttons or fastenings all the way down are a good option, as are stretch suits and clothes with wide necks
- Talk or sing to your baby as you dress them, this can distract and entertain them
- If putting them in a top, stretch the neck opening wide enough so you can pull the garment over their head from back to front without touching their face
- Put your hand into the sleeve, and gently guide their arm through the opening, rather than trying to push their arms through
- Put the bottom half of an outfit or pants on in a similar manner to the top
- Pull the zipper of any clothing away from the body to avoid pinching their skin
- In cold weather, dress your baby with an extra layer of clothing than usual to ensure they are comfortably warm.