650g apples, cored and sliced
60 g caster sugar
2 tbsp water
½ tsp ground cinnamon
6 tsp margarine, softened
2 eggs beaten
½ tsp vanilla essence
85g self raising flour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the apples and water in a saucepan and cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes, until the apples have softened.
- Stir in the cinnamon and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- To make the sponge, beat the margarine with the sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla essence and flour. Beat to a soft creamy consistency.
- Spoon the sponge mixture over the apples and smooth down gently.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the sponge has risen and is golden and springy to touch.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes