The typical age of food fussiness is 18 months to 3 years. Even though it can be challenging, it is important to try and maintain a healthy balance for your toddler during this period.
Missing out on essential nutrients such as iron and zinc may have an effect on your little one’s appetite, behaviour and energy levels. Simple additions to their diet can often help with issues such as tiredness and lethargy (inadequate food intake and iron) or irregular toilet habits (inadequate fibre).
Encourage your toddler to try something new by putting one piece on their plate…It can all start with one pea! The following tips may encourage them to a varied diet and help to increase the number of nutrients in their diet:
- Increase fibre and vitamins – grate vegetables such as carrot, zucchini, potato and pumpkin in pasta sauces, casseroles or muffins. Chop a variety of fruit into bite sized pieces and thread onto skewers or cook into biscuits or friands (such as our apple and pecan cookies). Alternatively, use a cookie cutter to make different shapes or to create a face on their plate
- Increase iron – spread hommus or other blended legumes on sandwiches, pizza bases or whole meal muffins as an alternative to meat
- Increase zinc – serve a few fish and seafood meals per week including salmon patties, tuna mornay or healthy crumbed fish
- Increase protein and energy – use double or triple the amount of eggs as an ingredient in home baked items or add almond meal in place of flour
- Add S-26 GOLD® TODDLER in place of regular milk when preparing cereals for breakfast or when cooking toddler meals such as frittata or quiche dishes to boost their overall nutritional content.
Meeting the Needs of Today’s Toddler
S-26 GOLD TODDLER is a nutritious vanilla milk drink formulated with the energy content (270 KJ/100 ml) similar to cow’s milk (avg 227 KJ/100 ml) which contributes to normal metabolism in toddlers when dietary intake is inadequate.
S-26 GOLD TODDLER milk drink contains iron and calcium, plus it contains Omega-3. It also contains B vitamins which assist in a toddler’s normal utilisation of energy. In fact, one serve of S-26 GOLD TODDLER milk drink provides 50 % of the RDI* for added B vitamins. These assist when dietary intakes are inadequate.
S-26 GOLD TODDLER milk drink does not contain sucrose, artificial colours or preservatives.